To understand how consumers really think and feel, it is vital to go beyond words.
Research is defined as systematic gathering of data and information and its analysis for advancement of knowledge in any subject. It seeks to make basic discoveries and uncover new principles or facts so far unknown or unrecognized, and it helps to find answers to intellectual and practical questions through application of systematic methods.
Research is the driver that moves and nurture national technological advancement. Once it fails, innovation comes to a halt and technological advancement becomes a mirage.
Research can be in different forms
- Product Research: It is an attempt to uncover new product ideas which will meet the requirements of current as well as prospective customers.
- Manufacturing Research: It refers to the development of tools and equipment, handling devices, and methods of manufacture which can result in cost reduction and increase productivity.
- Material Research: This is linked with both product and manufacturing researches because the discovery of new materials has impact on both.
- Market Research: It is a systematic objective collection and analysis of data about a particular target market, competition, and environment.
- Descriptive and Analytical Research: It concentrates on finding facts to ascertain the nature of something as it exists.
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research: It is undertaken to gain insights concerning
attitudes, beliefs, motivations and behaviors of individuals to explore a social or human problem.
- Conceptual and Empirical Research: It involves investigation of thoughts and ideas, and developing new ideas or interpreting the old ones based on logical reasoning.
Production refer to the design, development, implementation, operation, maintenance, and control of all processes in the manufacturing of a product.
Production engineering is the science of creating safe and efficient processes for
transforming raw materials into finished items.
Production represents a cornerstone of every national economy, it is a crucial sector to the generation of structural change, productive jobs and sustainable economic growth.
An economist, Nicholas Kaldor (1908-1986) proposed that economic growth and
enhanced standards of living are positively correlated with national industrial activity. He suggested that the productivity of the non-productive sector is associated with growth in production.
It is argued that the problems facing manufacturing in industrialized nations such as the UK were attributed to poor industrial relations, inadequate investment in Research and Production, insufficient investment in technical education, poor training and management.
Over the past two decades, the emergence of China as a global manufacturing powerhouse has further challenged the existing manufacturing base within other countries. This raises further concerns over whether or not it matters that an economy retains a production sector.
Without a production sector it will become very difficult for any country to sustain
innovation. Production is essential to the long term health of every country’s economy. A more diversified economy is essential for the long term plan of every country and also engineering research and production have an important role to play. The key to enhancing our production industries is to address a series of macro and micro level issues simultaneously. Fiscal policy including taxation rules need to be overhauled to encourage industries to transition into a more competitive future through investment in capital equipment and Researches.
Engineering research is critical to a country’s productivity and competitiveness. From wireless communications to robotics, mechanical to biomedical engineering. It helps fill gaps in knowledge and develop new products while improving the country’s efficiency and growth.
Developed countries with a strong scientific function have a critical mass of relatively stable, well-resourced research and higher education institutes, and well established science governance systems.
The role of government in supporting Research is invaluably substantial. The government play a critical role in maintaining and growing a healthy manufacturing sector in Ghana. This is because today’s revolutionary technologies and many of our most popular consumer products have roots deep in basic and applied researches, therefore, much of it should be funded through government investment. The government must play this role in researches in other to protect and promote future competitiveness of Ghana.
For us to establish a scientific and progressive society; a society that is innovative and forward-looking, one that is not only a consumer of technology but also a contributor to scientific and technological civilization of the future, the Research and Production Team must come up with ideas or plans to help wake up leaders of the country from their slumber to acknowledge and genuinely respond to the onerous and tasking responsibilities in the context of Research in engineering. The viability of national economy and competitive future of Ghana depend on effective and calculated Research in engineering.
It is the responsibility of the Research and Production Team to collaborate with the
Mentorship Team to come up with ideas for a substantial investment in education and training which will be targeted at encouraging more students to enter the fields of engineering and relevant technology and production areas.
- The Team will help influence government decision on policies that will support small to medium enterprises, enhance management development support and apprenticeship schemes to help boost the capacity of all firms.
- The team will collaborate with the ICT and Innovation Team to come up with strategies that will influence the creation of advanced manufacturing clusters, networks and partnerships. This involves the modernization of factories to include more technology enabled smart manufacturing processes.
- The Team will champion a campaign for National Research and Laboratory Centre or solicit for sponsorship/funds to help build it.
- For Ghana to move to the next level of development, we must consciously aimed at
discovering solutions to problems or creating new products and knowledge through systematic and logical activities, geared towards national economic development. It is through this means that Ghana can experience future growth and be able to expand our economy.
- The common facts of today are the products of yesterday’s research.
- The more important reason is that the research itself provides an important long-run perspective on the issues that we face on a day-to-day basis.
- Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose.
Zora Neale Hurston
- In much of society, research means to investigate something you do not know or
understand. Neil Armstrong
- Research is about engaging in a conversation with a brand. Matthew Rhodes