COMMUNICATION WORKS FOR THOSE
WHO WORK AT IT
Have you tried the game that you make a friend pick a phrase and “pass it on” by whispering it to the person next to you. Then the phrase was passed from person to person until the last person announces the phrase?
How much did the phrase change during the game?
You will realize that as people relay message from one person to the other, the message will be distorted.
While the game is a lot of fun, it teaches us a lot of lessons.
- if you do not receive information from a reliable source, you may not get the correct
information. It turns into gossip.
- If you do not produce information properly, it will not be received as planned.
Communication skills are vital to success in our personal life and the engineering profession. Poorly delivered messages can turn into misunderstanding, frustration, or even disaster.
Each one of us has a different approach to how we portray a vision. As an Association we need to create a voice and practice it consistently. The consistency of our approach will make the rest of the world comprehend to our information more easily.
Association Internal Communication Success
Both written and verbal communication skills are of the utmost importance to the success of the Association. Communication improves relationships among members and boosts team’s performance because it provides clear information and expectations to help manage and deliver excellent work.
“Communication is a skill that you can learn. It is like riding a bicycle or typing. If you’re willing to work at it, you can rapidly improve the quality of every part of your life” Brian Tracy
Importance of communication skills for the Modern Engineer
When ever “engineering” is mentioned, people from outside the profession thinks of engineers as stereotypical, overworked people whose work consists of nothing but endless calculations. I doubt many would attribute writing and public speaking to the average engineer’s career.
- Employers assume most people who graduate have the technical expertise to do their jobs so they look for candidate with the ability to communicate their findings with others in a productive and efficient manner. It has become very necessary for us to possess strong communication skills because it very important to our professional career.
- Aside from impressing employers and being hired, we need to use communication skills everyday.
- Imagine in a team working on an assignment. Each member has important tasks and everyone’s contributions are crucial to the success of your assignment. What if one member lacks communication skills? They don’t listen well. They don’t contribute to group discussions on how to move the project forward. Their written reports are unclear and unorganized. Instead of making progress, you’re going to be struggling to understand and incorporate their findings into the overall project. Valuable time, resources, and energy will be wasted, and the finished assignment will likely be a poor performance. Clearly, lack of communication skills in today’s engineer leads to inefficiency, wasted effort, mistrust and resentment between co-works and many employers would not like to hire or work with someone like that.
Importance of Communication Skills in achieving the
Association’s vision and mission
Engineers have an important job within the world, solving the greatest of challenges and helping to overcome a whole range of disasters. As an engineering Association, we need excellent communicators to ensure the general public understand the ins and outs of exactly what’s going on around them. We can all attest to the fact that most of the issues we face as a country is technical and for
that matter Ghana needs the inputs of technical experts. For any successful economy, particularly in today’s quest for knowledge based economies, science, technology, engineering and mathematics are the basic requisites. They are
associated in all means with modernity and are essential tool for rapid development.
Communication and Media Team
- The Communication and Media Team will play a very important and crucial role in
enlightening and educating the general public.
- The Team will coordinate and develop an ongoing marketing plan that will engage diverse group of people.
- The Team will be responsible for writing, editing and distributing news releases to the media houses.
- The Team will create displays, posters, fliers, brochures and other branding materials.
- The Team will be responsible for creating and managing a website with up-to-date
information on the Association and its activities.
- Communication and Media Team will champion publicities for all programs and
activities of the Association.
- The Team will coordinate with other groups to visit communities and organizations to talk about the Association.
Congratulations to members in the communication and media team. We pray that you bring out your best because the acceptance of the Association by Ghanaians will depend on how well the team will represent us on any media platform given to the Association. We wish you all the best in your journey and together we will achieve great things. We appreciate you all.
Thank you !!!
“ One of the most powerful defenses the media can offer for controversial actions is, of course, public interest.” Rowan Williams
“ The media’s the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power.
Because they control the minds of the masses.” Malcolm X