We believe strategic objectives are the goals that once achieved will make our strategy a success. They are critical contributions to the success of the Association.
Every Association or organization has its own distinction in expression and we believe they should be taken into account to produce the best possible strategic plan. This will help grow the Association’s membership, increase our market penetration and lift the Association’s mission and members up to their highest aspiration.
Our strategy we believe will be of great importance to the Association after several deliberation and thought through is to have members into groups called social interest teams.
These groups have specific responsibilities and roles to play in the Association. They will handle all aspects of the Association’s activities and help solve and address the challenges of the country in all sector.
- Media and Communication Team
- Research and Production Team
- Engineering and Economy
- ICT and Innovation
- Women of GhAME
Media and Communication Team
Communication skills are vital to success in our personal life and the engineering profession. Poorly delivered messages can turn into misunderstanding, frustration, or even disaster.
Each one of us has a different approach to how we portray a vision. As an Association we need to create a voice and practice it consistently. The consistency of our approach will make the rest of the world comprehend to our information more easily.
Both written and verbal communication skills are of the utmost importance to the success of the Association. Communication improves relationships among members and boosts team’s performance because it provides clear information and expectations to help manage and deliver excellent work.
Whenever “engineering” is mentioned, people from outside the profession thinks of engineers as stereotypical, overworked people whose work consists of nothing but endless calculations. I doubt many would attribute writing and public speaking to the average engineer’s career. It has become very necessary for us to possess strong communication skills because it very important to our professional career.
Engineers have an important job within the world, solving the greatest of challenges and helping to overcome a whole range of disasters. As an engineering Association, we need excellent communicators to ensure the general public understand the ins and outs of exactly what’s going on around them.
Slogan: Broadcasting relevant information to inspire our dreams of creating solutions for all
Research and Production Team
Research is defined as systematic gathering of data and information and its analysis for advancement of knowledge in any subject. It seeks to make basic discoveries and uncover new principles or facts so far unknown or unrecognized, and it helps to find answers to intellectual and practical questions through application of systematic methods.
Research is the driver that moves and nurture national technological advancement. Once it fails, innovation comes to a halt and technological advancement becomes a mirage.
Production refer to the design, development, implementation, operation, maintenance, and control of all processes in the manufacturing of a product. Production represents a cornerstone of every national economy, it is a crucial sector to the generation of structural change, productive jobs and sustainable economic growth.
Over the past two decades, the emergence of China as a global manufacturing powerhouse has further challenged the existing manufacturing base within other countries. This raises further concerns over whether or not it matters that an economy retains a production sector.
Without a production sector it will become very difficult for any country to sustain innovation. Production is essential to the long-term health of every country’s economy.
A more diversified economy is essential for the long-term plan of every country and also engineering research and production have an important role to play. The key to enhancing our production industries is to address a series of macro and micro level issues simultaneously. Fiscal policy including taxation rules need to be overhauled to encourage industries to transition into a more competitive future through investment in capital equipment and Researches.
Slogan: We bring your ideas into reality
Role of Research and Production Team
- For us to establish a scientific and progressive society; a society that is innovative and forward-looking, one that is not only a consumer of technology but also a contributor to scientific and technological civilization of the future, the Research and Production Team must come up with ideas or plans to help wake up leaders of the country from their slumber to acknowledge and genuinely respond to the onerous and tasking responsibilities in the context of Research in engineering. The viability of national economy and competitive future of Ghana depend on effective and calculated Research in engineering.
- It is the responsibility of the Research and Production Team to collaborate with the Mentorship Team to come up with ideas for a substantial investment in education and training which will be targeted at encouraging more students to enter the fields of engineering and relevant technology and production areas.
- The Team will help influence government decision on policies that will support small to medium enterprises, enhance management development support and apprenticeship schemes to help boost the capacity of all firms.
- The team will collaborate with the ICT and Innovation Team to come up with strategies that will influence the creation of advanced manufacturing clusters, networks and partnerships. This involves the modernization of factories to include more technology-enabled smart manufacturing processes.
- The Team will champion a campaign for National Research and Laboratory Centre or solicit for sponsorship/funds to help build it.
‘The more important reason is that the research itself provides an important long-run perspective on the issues that we face on a day-to-day basis.”
Mentoring, at its core, guarantees young people that there is someone who cares about them, assures them they are not alone in dealing with day-to-day challenges, and makes them feel like they matter.
Research confirms that quality mentoring relationships have powerful positive effects on young people in a variety of personal, academic, and professional situations. Ultimately, it connects a young person to personal growth and development, and social and economic opportunity. Yet most of the young people in Ghana grow up without this critical asset.
Slogan: When we shine, we lighten the world
Role of Mentorship Team
- Oversee and implement the GhAME Mentorship Program
- Attract both Mentor volunteers among GhAME members and mentee participants from the various institutions, consistent with the broad diversity objectives of the Team.
- Develop and/or strengthen relationships between GhAME and the target institutions to assist in the recruitment of the mentees.
- Provide the “Circle” experience so that mentees can work effectively toward achieving their professional development goals and objectives.
- Perform such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned to the Team from time to time.
“The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own.”
ICT and Innovation Team
Innovation describes the development and application of ideas and technologies that improve goods and services or make their production more efficient. It is an essential driver of economic progress that benefits consumers, businesses and the economy as a whole.
Innovation does not equate to invention; it simply means making slight changes to a business model or environment to ensure the delivery of products or services. Innovation helps predict how the market will change, providing solutions before customers even realize there’s a problem.
As mechanical engineers, we design things like robotics, factory automation systems and machines of all types. In eras past, we spent our days with pencils, erasers and drafting boards but in the information age, we get the job done faster and more efficiently using computer-aided design software programs and plotters.
We should be scared for reducing teaching to simply letters and numbers. We place such an emphasis on scores because of political mandates and the way teachers and schools are evaluated today, seems we’ve forgotten why teachers exists: to change-improve-lives. We believe the essence of education is to develop learners and leaders who will create a better present and future.
Building a capability to organize and manage Innovation and ICT will be a great achievement but we first need to consider where and how they will be implemented to our strategic advantage.
Two key themes are important;
- Our overall strategy and how ICT and Innovation will help us get there.
- Knowing the direction, we are going and whether we have the strength.
Slogan: Innovative Technology and Service to Humanity
Role of ICT and Innovation Team
- The Team will participate in meetings and voicing concerns as well as suggestions for improvement about the role of ICT and Innovation to the mechanical engineering profession and national growth.
- The Team will coordinate training or give ICT support to members to help improve the services we provide as professionals.
- The Team will work with the Mentorship Team to develop a guide to help infuse innovative practices in the junior and senior cycles and introduce ICT curriculum which will be incorporated into some of the courses like technical drawing taught in the junior and senior cycles.
- Perform such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned to the Team from time to time
Learning and innovation go hand in hand. The arrogance of success is to think that what you did yesterday will be sufficient for tomorrow.
Engineering and Economy Team
Engineering is defined as the profession in which the knowledge gained in science and mathematics is applied to make products in large scale that increase the prosperity of man. This must be achieved with a judicious choice of materials, at the lowest cost in a manner that is friendly to the environment, and that keeps all the stakeholders safe.
Economy consists of the sum total of all income from goods produced and services offered in a state or nation. It deals with the interactions between people and wealth.
Engineering Economy is the study of the feasibility and evaluation of the cost of possible solutions to engineering problems. When benefits outweigh costs, the alternate becomes an acceptable one.
The engineering profession makes important contributions to the economy, both from the direct addition to economic output from the work they do, and the contribution of the sectors in which they work.
In reality, any engineering project must be, not only physically realizable but also economically affordable. Understanding and applying economic principles to engineering have never been more important.
As Engineers, we need to realize that engineering is more than a problem-solving activity focusing on the development of products, systems, and processes to satisfy a need or demand. Beyond function and performance, solutions must also be economically viable. We need to also realize that the solutions we provide does not make sense and will not be acceptable if it is not profitable.
Our design solutions do not exist in a vacuum but within the context of a business opportunity.
Since almost every problem has multiple solutions, so the issue is: how does one rationally select a design with the most favourable economic result?
The answer to the above question is provided by engineering economy.
Slogan: Excellence is our Hallmark
Role of Engineering and Economy Team
- The team will help educate the general public on the importance of engineering to the growth of the national economy.
- The team will act as consult and advice the government on engineering projects and their impact on the economy of the country.
- The team will provide the rest of the members with a sound understanding of the principles, basic concepts, and methodology of engineering economy.
- The team will help members develop proficiency with these methods and with the processes for facilitating rational decisions that we are likely to encounter in our professional practice and help evaluate alternative investment opportunities.
- The team will help standardize salaries of members and have a cost standard for our services and products.
There is one rule for the industrialist and that is, make the best quality goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible.
When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact.
Women of GhAME
Women are often under-represented in the academic and professional fields of engineering, however many females have contributed to the diverse fields of engineering historically.
A number of organisations and programs have been created to understand and overcome this tradition of gender gap, saying that it indicates the absence of potential talent.
We believe gender stereotypes, low rates of female engineering students, and engineering culture are factors that contribute to the current situation where men are dominated in the engineering field.
This review found that the barriers and opportunities relating to women’s participation in engineering occur at all points along people’s education and work pathways, from early engagement with STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) activities and interests in the early years and primary school through educational experiences in secondary school leading to subject choices, to the experiences of women in university engineering courses and then in the workplace
Roles of Women of GhAME
- Organise outreach activities in all levels of the educational ladder
- Organise mentoring, career counselling and role models in STEM
- Help with structural and policy initiatives that will encourage more females in the profession.
- Help recruit more female professionals into the Association
- Perform such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned to the Team from time to time